Saturday 27 August 2011

Caol Ila 1995 Distillers Edition


Caol Ila 1995 Distillers’ Edition

A review by Tommy Byrne

Overall rating: 8/10 (Single Malt notation)

One thing I love about airport transits is checking out the novelty products in the single malt section at duty free shops. Aside from offering larger bottles, 1L instead of the traditional 0,7 -0,75L, you can usually find many products that are not sold in our Canadian state-owned liquor stores. When I saw the Caol Ila 1995 Distillers’ Edition bottle at Toronto Airport last June, I didn’t hesitate to buy it without knowing exactly what was so special about that product, after all, Caol Ila 12 is one of my favourite whisky. I usually never read the tasting notes on the box of the whisky, or at least I try not to remember them, to not alter my impressions when I do the tastings. There was something about this Distillers’ Edition I couldn’t get my finger on at first, the box than helped me finding out: a Moscatel cask finish.

A double maturing process often influences the final colour of a whisky. Not for this one, the Moscatel cask doesn’t change significantly the original pale straw colour of Caol Ila 12. The nose is sharp and alcoholised. While citrus and unripe fruits notes are present, the overall feeling I get is a sweet and smokiness, like a thick piece of honey/maple glazed smoked salmon. Peat is very light in the nose, but kicks in after the first sip. The palate is oaked and lightly sulphuric. Medium bodied, it leads to shorter finish than the original version of the whisky.

Not being too familiar with Moscatel wines (not to be confused with Spanish Moscatell), I might not have all the sufficient knowledge required to fully appreciate this whisky. I believe this Distillers’ Edition to be marketed as a curiosity product, definitely not for hard-core Islay malts aficionados. While to my sense, the Moscatel cask softly kills the most notable features of the Caol Ila 12, it might just be the best whisky to gently step into the world of Islay malts without beginning to strong, together with Bowmore 12. In the same train of thought, I feel it’s always more pleasurable to drink a lighter whisky that gains with a sweet cask finish, such as Bruichladdich or Glenmorangie, than a more complex one who may lose its essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment